About The Traveling School
Traveling School Mission: To empower young women academically, physically, and culturally through an experiential overseas high school semester.
Traveling School Vision: Cultivate engagement, leadership and confidence in young women.
The Traveling School offers teenage girls ages 15-18 the opportunity to explore the world and learn about themselves through academic, physical, and cultural challenges. Sixteen motivated young women and four inspiring teachers travel to a unique region of the globe for 15 weeks. Students earn full credit, immerse in new cultures, develop outdoor skills, and build confidence during this transformational semester.
Traveling School Students are…
- Academically curious, engaged, and interested
- Willing to live out of a backpack
- Highly motivated, adventurous, and fun
- Ready to adapt and excited to push personal comfort zones
- Seeking challenging academic learning in a non-traditional setting
- Interested in other cultures and eager to grow a global perspective
- Excited to build a supportive and inclusive environment
Each 15-week semester travels through 3-4 countries in a region. Locations are subject to change depending on regional changes including: weather, political climate, safety considerations, and educational opportunities.
- Fall Semester: Southern Africa, August 20- December 5 (South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia)
- Spring Semester: South America, February 1-May 15(Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia)
The Traveling School uses a four-part focus to create a unique educational experience and personal growth for students.
- Inspiring Academics
- Cultural Engagement
- Outdoor Adventure
- Leadership Development
- Priority Admission Deadline for Fall & Spring Semesters: February 1
- $26,900 for 2018/2019
Financial Aid & Fundraising Opportunities
We are committed to providing girls the opportunity to attend this program regardless of economic background. We have financial aid and merit scholarships available.
- Financial aid awards range from 10%-60% of tuition depending on need
- Limited merit-based scholarships may be available and do not exceed $3500
- 42% of students have received financial aid
- Since 2003, we have distributed over $794,189 in financial aid awards
- Learn more here.
Why All Girls?
All Girls Makes For a Strong Experience
Alumnae Colleges and Universities
The Traveling School is committed to excellence through diversity in its students, faculty, staff, and Board of Directors. The Traveling School provides equal employment opportunities to all employees/applicants for employment and students/student applicants without regard to race, sex, age, color, national origin, ethnicity, creed, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, or political affiliation – except where sex, age, or ability represent bona fide educational or employment qualifications or where marital or veteran status are statutorily defined eligibility criteria for Federal or State laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. The Traveling School will make reasonable accommodations to allow qualified individuals with a disability to participate in the essential functions of the program. This policy does not preclude discrimination based on bona fide qualifications or other recognized exceptions under the law.